Like us on
Visit the GRRB Facebook page!

About Us
Settlement Area
Wildlife Studies Fund
Hunting & Trapping in the GSA
Wildlife Species
Planning Wildlife Research?
GRRB Wildlife Projects
Wildlife Management
Traditional Knowledge
Applications & Forms
Contact Us
Co-Management Partners
Gwich'in Harvest Study
Public Registry

Planning Research in the Gwich’in Settlement Area 

If you are interested in doing wildlife research in the Gwich'in Settlement Area, you need to go through a consultation process with the appropriate Renewable Resource Councils and get all the required research licenses from the appropriate agencies. 

You will need a:
1) Scientific Research License from the Aurora Research Institute
2) Wildlife Research Permit from the Department of Environment and Natural Resource, GNWT

If your project involves migratory bird research, you may also need a license from the Canadian Wildlife Service and the National Wildlife Research Center (for bird banding).  Any project requiring handling of wildlife will also need to be approved by the NWT Wildlife Care Committee. Projects involving Ecological Traditional Knowledge also need to consult with the Gwich'in Social and Cultural Institute. Additional permits may be required - it is the researchers responsibility to make sure they have all the licenses required. Contact information of licensing agencies and additional details are available from the Aurora Research Institute.

Field work Richardson Mountains

John Koe, Raila Salokangas and Jamie Smithson inventory vegetation for a
Dall’s Sheep Habitat Project (summer 2005)        




Gwich'in Renewable Resources Board