The Gwich’in Renewable Resources Board (GRRB) is a co-management board composed of representatives selected by:
- Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC)
- Fisheries & Oceans Canada (DFO)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Department of Environment & Natural Resources (ENR)
The GRRB was established under the guidance of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (GCLCA) to be the main instrument of wildlife, fish and forest management in the Gwich’in Settlement Area (GSA).
The GRRB is responsible for working with Gwich’in communities and the public to ensure that renewable resources in the GSA are managed in a sustainable manner. The GRRB reviews all land use and research authorizations from the Gwich’in Land Administration (GTC) and Aurora Research Institute (ARI) and corresponds weekly with the Renewable Resource Councils.
Gwich'in Tribal Council (GTC)
The Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC) is an Aboriginal organization that represents participants of the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (1992) in the Mackenzie-Delta of the Northwest Territories.
The objectives of the GTC are to:
- protect and preserve the rights, interest and benefits of the Gwich’in in reference to their use, ownership and management of lands, waters and resources in the Gwich’in Settlement Area (GSA)
- retain, preserve and enhance the traditional and cultural values, customs and language of the Gwich’in in a changing society
- develop and promote economic, social, educational and cultural programs that will enable the Gwich’in to become self-sufficient and full participating members in a global society
- uphold the rights, interests and benefits of the Gwich’in in reference to the Constitution Act, Treaty 11 and the Gwich’in Comprehensive Land Claim Agreement (GCLCA)
- receive, preserve and enhance the capital and the lands and other benefits transferred to the Gwich’in pursuant to the GCLCA
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
- sustainably managing fisheries and aquaculture
- working with fishers, coastal and Indigenous communities to enable their continued prosperity from fish and seafood
- ensuring that Canada’s oceans and other aquatic ecosystems are protected from negative impacts
- ensuring commercial vessels and recreational boaters can safely navigate our waters
- being there to save lives and protect our environment when emergencies arise
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
Environment and Natural Resources (ENR)
Environment and Natural Resources (ENR), as part of the Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT), works to promote and support the sustainable use and development of natural resources and to protect, conserve and enhance the Northwest Territories (NWT) environment for the social and economic benefit of all residents.
Renewable Resource Councils (RRCs)
|RRC||Ehdiitat RRC||Tetlit RRC||Nihtat RRC||Gwichya Gwich’in RRC|
|Phone||867-978-2336||867-952-2330 (Ask for RRC)||Call the main office 867-777-6650 and ask for the RRC||867-953-3608|
|Fax||867-978-2937||867-952-2212||867-777-6651||867-953-3603 (Attention: RRC)|
|Box 118 Aklavik, NT, X0E 0A0||Box 30 Fort McPherson, NT, X0E 0J0||Box 2570 Inuvik, NT, X0E 0T0||General Delivery Tsiigehtchic, NT, X0E 0B0|